Phones for Families
For many years, people have been using the telephone to talk to one another, and most people now consider that having a telephone is part of everyday life. However, not everyone can afford a phone, leaving many families not able to contact emergency services, community programs and even their child's school. Not having a telephone also presents difficulties getting in touch with community, social, health and related government services.
What is Phones for Families?
Phones for Families is a pilot project that provides free telephone service to qualified families with children attending schools in Thunder Bay.
Why does my family need a telephone?
Having a telephone not only allows you to have open communication with your child’s school, it also helps to connect you to all programs and services in Thunder Bay, including 911 emergency services and 211 non-emergency services.
How will this project benefit my family?
- Provide better contact between the school and your home
- Allow you to call emergency services by dialing 911
- Allow you to call non-emergency services by dialing 211
Registration Process for new applicants
1. Contact your child’s school to have an application form sent home with your child
2. Complete the application form
- The Lakehead Social Planning Council and Tbaytel will ensure the telephone service is connected.
- All communication will be sent home with your children.
- Applications will only be accepted from your child’s school.
- Hardware - telephone
Basic service (does not include long distance)
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there any service fees? ·No, there is no cost to you for the telephone service if you qualify
Will I be able to call 411? ·No, you will not be able to use 411 or 900 numbers
Can I get Caller ID or other features? ·No, only the basic telephone service is provided
Can I call long distance or accept collect calls? ·No, long distance and collect calls are blocked
Will I be able to get access to the internet? ·No, internet services are not available through this project
How long will I receive Free service? ·You will be provided Free service until there is no longer project funding.
I am moving, can I still apply? ·Yes, but you must inform the Lakehead Social Planning Council by calling the 211 line Monday-Friday 7am to 7pm
Phones for Families is a partnership project of the following:
- District of Thunder Bay Social Services Administration Board
- Lakehead Public Schools
- Lakehead Social Planning Council - 211 North
- Thunder Bay Catholic District School Board
- United Way of Thunder Bay